- Khaleda gets bail in two graft cases
- No head teachers at 249 govt pry schools in Shariatpur
- ‘Breed like rabbits’ or victims of statelessness? The Rohingya women who reject
- AL wants law enforcers to maintain law & order during polls
- Tumpa murder: Husband held from Jessore
- Khaleda to surrender before court Thursday
- Promotion for 20 police at DIG-AIG level
- Rohingya influx puts locals into financial trouble
- AL wants EVMs in next election
- No plan to arrest Khaleda, says Quader
Charity and subsidy can’t reduce poverty
Former advisor to the caretaker government Dr. Akbar Ali Khan says charity and subsidy can’t reduce poverty.
He makes the remark while addressing at the session ‘Poverty Reduction through Social Business’ at the Social Business Forum 2013 at North South University.
Speakers in the program say all poverty is not of same kind. Each problem needs special kind of approach and strategy.
“Social Business and Micro-Credit are types of solution to poverty. But social business is not the only solution to poverty”, the speakers remark.
The speakers emphasize on economic activities to reduce poverty.
“Professor Yunus has taken alternative approach to reduce poverty and his approach is social business”, remark the speakers.
Dr. Akbar Ali Khan criticizes the government for adopting subsidy and charity based approaches.
“There are some quarters who always love to take charity and subsidy for their own interest”, says the former advisor.