- Charges pressed against 228 over Nasirnagar attack
- Khaleda sits with BNP policymakers
- Shakib made Tigers’ Test captain
- Most new taxpayers aged below 40, says Muhith
- SI without ticket gets violent
- Two killed in Sirajganj road accident
- Missing Chandpur businessman turns up dead
- ICT exports: Palak eyes 6-fold increase by ‘21
- Contempt of court rule against EC
- Security guard burnt alive in N’ganj market fire
Charity and subsidy can’t reduce poverty
Former advisor to the caretaker government Dr. Akbar Ali Khan says charity and subsidy can’t reduce poverty.
He makes the remark while addressing at the session ‘Poverty Reduction through Social Business’ at the Social Business Forum 2013 at North South University.
Speakers in the program say all poverty is not of same kind. Each problem needs special kind of approach and strategy.
“Social Business and Micro-Credit are types of solution to poverty. But social business is not the only solution to poverty”, the speakers remark.
The speakers emphasize on economic activities to reduce poverty.
“Professor Yunus has taken alternative approach to reduce poverty and his approach is social business”, remark the speakers.
Dr. Akbar Ali Khan criticizes the government for adopting subsidy and charity based approaches.
“There are some quarters who always love to take charity and subsidy for their own interest”, says the former advisor.