- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Noted Islamic scholar Mufti Abdur Rahman passes away
Photo: Mufti Abdur Rahman
Noted Islamic scholar, former member of Shari`ah Council of Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited and founder chairman of Bashundhara Islamic Research Centre (Markajul Fikril Islami Bangladesh) and Faqihul Millat Mufti Abdur Rahman passed away on Tuesday evening(Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihe Raziun). He was 96 and had been suffering from various old-age complications.
His namaz-e-janaza was held at Bashundhara central mosque around 10:10am on Wednesday. The deceased’s eldest son Mufti Arshad Rahmani conducted the prayers.
Hundreds of people started thronging the central mosque since early morning and joined the janaza of this Islamic Scholar.
Mufti Abdur Rahman was born at Imam Nagar village in Fatikchhari upazila of Chittagong in 1920.
His father’s name was Chan Mia. He completed primary, secondary and higher secondary educations in Nazirhat and Hathazari madrasas.
Later, he obtained higher degree from Darul Uloom Deoband in Uttar Pradesh in India.
He set up a unique and research-oriented organization — Islamic Research Centre, Bashundhara — in 1991. He also opened a department of Islamic economics and banking in the Islamic Research Centre in 2002.
He was member of IBBL Shari`ah Council from 1984 to 1992.
Engr Mustafa Anwar, Chairman, Board of IBBL Directors and Sheikh Moulana Mohammad Qutubuddin, Chairman of the Shari`ah Supervisory Committee of Islami Bank expressed deep shock at his death and condoled the bereaved family members.
His research work played important role in enriching Shari`ah based economy and banking system. Recently he was conferred Central Shari`ah Islami Banking Award for his outstanding contribution to Islamic Banking and Economics.
Islami Bank arranges special Doa Munazat at the head office and branches for salvation of his departed soul.
Bashundhara Group Chairman Ahmed Akbar Sobhan also expressed deep condolence at the death of Islamic scholar Mufti Abdur Rahman.
He also prayed for salvation of the departed soul and expressed sympathy for the bereaved family members.