- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
3,386 BD nationals remain detained abroad: Minister
Some 3,386 Bangladeshi nationals are now detained in various countries on charges of crimes, according to statistics provided by Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali in Parliament on Thursday.
The Bangladeshi citizens now remain detained as their trials are pending in the countries, he said replying to Jatiya Party MP AKM Mayeedul Islam (Kurigram-3).
According to the statistics, the highest 912 Bangladeshis remain detained in Oman, followed by 409 in the UK, 391 nationals in Saudi Arab, 332 in Bahrain, 307 in Thailand, 207 in the USA, 180 in Greece, 158 in Myanmar and 107 in Singapore.
Besides, 97 Bangladeshi nationals remain detained in Mexico, 42 in Jordan, 39 in Hong Kong, 34 in Nepal, 30 in Japan, 26 in Iran, 24 in Turkey, at least 22 in Pakistan, 11 in Sri Lanka, 9 in Kenya, 7 in Bulgaria, 6 in Maurisus, 4 in North Korea, 3 each in France and South Korea, 2 each in Belgium and Georgia, and 1 each in Sweden, Poland and Egypt.