- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
Aamir Khan is the true son of India: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
Filmmaker Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra says superstar Aamir Khan, who has been embroiled in a controversy for his comments on intolerance, is a true son of the soil and does not have to prove anything.
The 50-year-old “PK” star during an award function in the national capital had said he has been “alarmed” by a number of incidents and his wife Kiran Rao even suggested that they should leave the country.
Mehra, who has directed Aamir in “Rang De Basanti”, said he was in pain to hear the reaction against the actor for his comments.
“Aamir is a dear friend and I am in tears when somebody passes a comment because he is a true son of the soil for me. It is amazing. He does not have to prove anything,” Mehra told PTI on the sidelines of IFFI.
Following the political storm over his comments, Aamir came out with a statement, saying he and his wife had no intention of leaving the country. The actor also said that he stands by his remarks on intolerance.
“To all those people who are calling me anti-national, I would like to say that I am proud to be Indian, and I do not need anyone’s permission nor endorsement for that. To all the people shouting obscenities at me for speaking my heart out, it saddens me to say you are only proving my point,” Aamir had said in his statement.