- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Aamir Khan is the true son of India: Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
Filmmaker Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra says superstar Aamir Khan, who has been embroiled in a controversy for his comments on intolerance, is a true son of the soil and does not have to prove anything.
The 50-year-old “PK” star during an award function in the national capital had said he has been “alarmed” by a number of incidents and his wife Kiran Rao even suggested that they should leave the country.
Mehra, who has directed Aamir in “Rang De Basanti”, said he was in pain to hear the reaction against the actor for his comments.
“Aamir is a dear friend and I am in tears when somebody passes a comment because he is a true son of the soil for me. It is amazing. He does not have to prove anything,” Mehra told PTI on the sidelines of IFFI.
Following the political storm over his comments, Aamir came out with a statement, saying he and his wife had no intention of leaving the country. The actor also said that he stands by his remarks on intolerance.
“To all those people who are calling me anti-national, I would like to say that I am proud to be Indian, and I do not need anyone’s permission nor endorsement for that. To all the people shouting obscenities at me for speaking my heart out, it saddens me to say you are only proving my point,” Aamir had said in his statement.