- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Foolproof security for Pahela Baishakh celebrations: DMP
Commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Asaduzaman Miah on Monday said all necessary steps have been taken to ensure foolproof security for the celebrations of Pahela Baishakh across the capital.
Nine observation towers will be set up at the main venues -- Ramna Botomul, Teachers-Student Centre (TSC) and Suhrawardy Udyan areas -- for ensuring smooth celebrations of the first day of Bangla New Year on April 14, Asaduzaman told reporters at DMP media centre.
The areas will be monitored through CCTV cameras from three control rooms, he said adding that special teams will be deployed to prevent pick-pocketing, mugging and eve-teasing.
The DMP chief said no one will be allowed to wear masks and play ‘Vuvuzela’ on the day to avert any unpleasant incident. A special police team, ‘Special Weapon and Tactics-SWAT’, will escort the 'Mongol Shobhajatra' to be brought out by students of the Institute of Fine Arts of Dhaka University.
He said all the programmes of Pahela Baishakh must end by 5:00 pm while no one will be allowed to enter the main venues after 4:30 pm.
Besides, carrying matches and lighters at the programme venues will also be prohibited, he said.
The DMP Commissioner also noted that no vehicle of outsiders will be allowed to enter the Baishakhi celebration points from the early hours of April 13 to 9:00 pm on April 14.
Replying to a question, he said they had received no threat in connection with the Baishakhi programme.
Expressing sorrow over the last year’s incident when several women were sexually harassed, the DMP Commissioner said a case was filed in this connection and several perpetrators have already been identified.