- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
Foolproof security for Pahela Baishakh celebrations: DMP
Commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Asaduzaman Miah on Monday said all necessary steps have been taken to ensure foolproof security for the celebrations of Pahela Baishakh across the capital.
Nine observation towers will be set up at the main venues -- Ramna Botomul, Teachers-Student Centre (TSC) and Suhrawardy Udyan areas -- for ensuring smooth celebrations of the first day of Bangla New Year on April 14, Asaduzaman told reporters at DMP media centre.
The areas will be monitored through CCTV cameras from three control rooms, he said adding that special teams will be deployed to prevent pick-pocketing, mugging and eve-teasing.
The DMP chief said no one will be allowed to wear masks and play ‘Vuvuzela’ on the day to avert any unpleasant incident. A special police team, ‘Special Weapon and Tactics-SWAT’, will escort the 'Mongol Shobhajatra' to be brought out by students of the Institute of Fine Arts of Dhaka University.
He said all the programmes of Pahela Baishakh must end by 5:00 pm while no one will be allowed to enter the main venues after 4:30 pm.
Besides, carrying matches and lighters at the programme venues will also be prohibited, he said.
The DMP Commissioner also noted that no vehicle of outsiders will be allowed to enter the Baishakhi celebration points from the early hours of April 13 to 9:00 pm on April 14.
Replying to a question, he said they had received no threat in connection with the Baishakhi programme.
Expressing sorrow over the last year’s incident when several women were sexually harassed, the DMP Commissioner said a case was filed in this connection and several perpetrators have already been identified.