- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
No hilsa on PM’s Pahela Baishakh menu
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has decided not to include hilsa in her menu for celebrating Pahela Baishakh this time, aiming to save the national fish during its breeding season.
According to a press release signed by PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim, the Prime Minister’s Pahela Baishakh menu has Khichuri, brinjal fry and chicken curry.
Currently, a ban on catching hilsa is in place due to its breeding season.
To ensure safe spawning of fish and increase fish resources, a two-month official ban on fishing took effect in five major rivers of six districts in the country’s southern region from March 1.
The ban covers around 340-kilometre areas in Ilisha, Meghna, Tentulia, Bishkhali and Padma rivers at Barisal, Bhola, Patuakhali, Barguna, Munshiganj, Chandpur and Laxmipur districts.