- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
No hilsa on PM’s Pahela Baishakh menu
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has decided not to include hilsa in her menu for celebrating Pahela Baishakh this time, aiming to save the national fish during its breeding season.
According to a press release signed by PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim, the Prime Minister’s Pahela Baishakh menu has Khichuri, brinjal fry and chicken curry.
Currently, a ban on catching hilsa is in place due to its breeding season.
To ensure safe spawning of fish and increase fish resources, a two-month official ban on fishing took effect in five major rivers of six districts in the country’s southern region from March 1.
The ban covers around 340-kilometre areas in Ilisha, Meghna, Tentulia, Bishkhali and Padma rivers at Barisal, Bhola, Patuakhali, Barguna, Munshiganj, Chandpur and Laxmipur districts.