- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Restrictions on Baishakh events only for security reasons: DMP
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Commissioner Asaduzzaman Miah on Tuesday said police have imposed restrictions on Pahela Baishakh celebrations in a bid to ensure foolproof security to revelers, not to curb the festivity.
He made the remarks while addressing a press conference at Nawab Nabab Ali Chowdhury Senate Bhaban of Dhaka University on security for the Pahela Baishakh celebrations.
“We again request all organisers to conclude their outdoor programmes by 5pm. But, there’ll no restriction on indoor programmes even after the stipulated time,” the DMP boss.
He said the main celebration venues -- Dhaka University and Suhrawardy Udyan –- will remain under the CCTV surveillance while some 19 watchtowers will be set up to monitor the entire area.
DU Pro-Vice Chancellor Dr Shahid Akhtar Hossain read out a written statement at the conference.
He said they have decided to end all the programmes by 5pm as per as the DMP directives to avoid any untoward incident.
All the programmes under the auspices of Dhaka University will be held at different places to avoid any unwanted gathering, the DU Pro-VC said.
The musical programme of the university will be held at Battala (under the Banyan tree) of the DU campus while Bangla Department programme in front of Arts Building and the puppet show and Nagar Dola at 'Mall Chattar' on the campus, he said.
Besides, the Faculty of Fine Art will bring out ‘Mongol Shovajatra’ from the institute to celebrate the Bangla New Year and Khela Ghar will arrange a programme for children, he said.
Convener of DU discipline subcommittee Amzad Hossain and senior officials of the DMP were present at the press conference.