- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Khaleda to join Baishakh event at Nayapaltan
BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia will go to her party’s Nayapaltan central office on Thursday to attend a programme to be arranged by its cultural wing to celebrate the Pahela Baishakh.
Jatiyatabadi Samajik Sangskritik Sangstha (Jasas) will arrange a discussion and cultural programme in front of BNP’s Nayapaltan central office to celebrate the Bangla New Year 1423, said a press release on Wednesday, reports UNB.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia will be present as the chief guest at the programme scheduled to begin at 2pm, the release added.
The BNP chairperson had also joined a similar programme last year in front of the BNP office.
Contacted, Jasas general secretary and singer Monir Khan said they got permission from the Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) authorities for holding the programme at Nayapaltan.
He said they will conclude the programme around 4:45 pm as there is a ban imposed by the DMP on continuation Pahela Baishakh celebration programmes after 5pm.