- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
10-day Baishakhi fair begins in city Thursday
A 10-day Baishakhi Mela (fair) begins here on Thursday, marking Pahela Baishakh, the first day of the Bangla New Year.
Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industries Corporation (BSCIC) and Bangla Academy are jointly organising the fair on the Bangla Academy premises.
Industries Minister Amir Hossain Amu will inaugurate the fair at 3:45pm, said a BSCIC media release.
Industries Secretary Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan, Cultural Affairs Secretary Begum Aktari Mamtaz, BSCIC Chairman Md Hazrat Ali and Bangla Academy Director General Prof Shamsuzzaman Khan will be present at the inaugural session.
This year, the fair, initiated in the early 1980s, will have 150 stalls offering different traditional products like handicrafts, hand-woven fabrics, jute-goods and Jamdani saris.
Besides, there will be a folk cultural event at every evening in the fair that will remain open for public from 10.00am to 8.00 pm till April 23.