- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
10-day Baishakhi fair begins in city Thursday
A 10-day Baishakhi Mela (fair) begins here on Thursday, marking Pahela Baishakh, the first day of the Bangla New Year.
Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industries Corporation (BSCIC) and Bangla Academy are jointly organising the fair on the Bangla Academy premises.
Industries Minister Amir Hossain Amu will inaugurate the fair at 3:45pm, said a BSCIC media release.
Industries Secretary Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan, Cultural Affairs Secretary Begum Aktari Mamtaz, BSCIC Chairman Md Hazrat Ali and Bangla Academy Director General Prof Shamsuzzaman Khan will be present at the inaugural session.
This year, the fair, initiated in the early 1980s, will have 150 stalls offering different traditional products like handicrafts, hand-woven fabrics, jute-goods and Jamdani saris.
Besides, there will be a folk cultural event at every evening in the fair that will remain open for public from 10.00am to 8.00 pm till April 23.