- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
10-day Baishakhi fair begins in city Thursday
A 10-day Baishakhi Mela (fair) begins here on Thursday, marking Pahela Baishakh, the first day of the Bangla New Year.
Bangladesh Small and Cottage Industries Corporation (BSCIC) and Bangla Academy are jointly organising the fair on the Bangla Academy premises.
Industries Minister Amir Hossain Amu will inaugurate the fair at 3:45pm, said a BSCIC media release.
Industries Secretary Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan, Cultural Affairs Secretary Begum Aktari Mamtaz, BSCIC Chairman Md Hazrat Ali and Bangla Academy Director General Prof Shamsuzzaman Khan will be present at the inaugural session.
This year, the fair, initiated in the early 1980s, will have 150 stalls offering different traditional products like handicrafts, hand-woven fabrics, jute-goods and Jamdani saris.
Besides, there will be a folk cultural event at every evening in the fair that will remain open for public from 10.00am to 8.00 pm till April 23.