- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
Helal to join World Press Photo masterclass
Pathshala Alumnus and Bangladeshi photographer Samsul Alam Helal has been selected for the prestigious international platform for young photographers ‘Joop Swart Masterclass 2016’ organized by World Press Photo.
This program announced the 12 young photographers of 11 different nationalities in its 23rd edition.
Samsul Alam Helal said “I enjoy representing reality in an alternate space. What we see isn't necessarily the whole story, and when I take pictures, I try to delve into the fictional aspects of the story.”
He is a documentary photographer based in Dhaka, Bangladesh. He completed his Professional Program on photography from Pathshala, also known as the South Asian Media Institute.
Worldpress Photo’s nominating committee selected 167 young photographers this year, who were invited to submit their portfolios. Only 12 young photographers were selected and the selection committee reflected on this year’s candidate portfolios.
Many of his works has been exhibited at Dhaka Art Summit (2016), The Bronx Museum of the Arts (2015) of New York, Noortherlicht Photo festival (2015) of Netherlands, Encounter Da imagem (2015) of Portugal, Eye on Bangladesh (2014) of New York, and Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art (2013) of Sunderland, Chobi Mela International Photography Festival (2013) in Bangladesh and Festival of Promenades Photographiques (2013) in France.
Founded in 1994, the Joop Swart Masterclass has brought together some of the finest young photographers from around world, and leading professionals in the fields of documentary photography and photojournalism.