- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
RU teacher killing: Nasim finds administrative weakness
Health Minister Mohammed Nasim on Sunday observed that the murder of Rajshahi University (RU) teacher Prof AFM Rezaul Karim Siddiquee took place due to the administrative weakness.
Addressing at a solidarity meeting organised by RU Teachers’ Association (Ruta) at the university Senate Bhaban, he, however, assured the teachers of bringing the killers to book.
“There’re some lapses in the local and field level administration. Or else, this type of murder would not happen. I won’t disagree that this is our failure,” Nasim said.
He also urged the district administration to discharge their duties defying all fears.
Noting that people are more powerful than the administration, Nasim, also a presidium member of ruling Awami League, underscored the need for forging unity among them, saying they can compel the administration to do their work during any crisis.
Former Industries Minister Dilip Barua and Ruta President Prof Shaidullah were, among others, present at the meeting.
Earlier on Saturday, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan, Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid, State Minister for Foreign Affairs M Shahriar Alam and Inspector General of Police AKM Shahidul Hoque visited the home of slain RU Prof AFM Rezaul Karim.