- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Public harassment of N’ganj teacher to be investigated: Nahid
Describing the punishment of a school headmaster publicly in Narayanganj for allegedly making offensive comments about religion as unfortunate, Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid on Monday said they will investigate the incident.
“I’m shocked and saddened at the incident. The Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education has already been directed to launch a probe into the incident,” he told reporters at his office.
Nahid said if any teacher commits any crime, there are certain rules and customs to punish him. “But to make the teacher to do sit-up holding his ears is very embarrassing for us,” he said.
Observing that such behaviour with a teacher is not acceptable under any circumstance, the minister urged the teacher to be strong mentally.
On Friday, locals beat Shyamal Kanti Bhakta, headmaster of Piyar Sattar Latif High School in Bandar area of Narayanganj for allegedly hurting religious sentiment.