- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Public harassment of N’ganj teacher to be investigated: Nahid
Describing the punishment of a school headmaster publicly in Narayanganj for allegedly making offensive comments about religion as unfortunate, Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid on Monday said they will investigate the incident.
“I’m shocked and saddened at the incident. The Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education has already been directed to launch a probe into the incident,” he told reporters at his office.
Nahid said if any teacher commits any crime, there are certain rules and customs to punish him. “But to make the teacher to do sit-up holding his ears is very embarrassing for us,” he said.
Observing that such behaviour with a teacher is not acceptable under any circumstance, the minister urged the teacher to be strong mentally.
On Friday, locals beat Shyamal Kanti Bhakta, headmaster of Piyar Sattar Latif High School in Bandar area of Narayanganj for allegedly hurting religious sentiment.