- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
4 suspected ‘killers’ of RU teacher Rezaul Karim arrested
Police in their separate drives arrested four suspected killers of Rajshahi University teacher AFM Rezaul Karim from Gaibandha and Rajshahi on Sunday and Monday night respectively.
Rajshahi Metropolitan Police Commissioner M Shamsuddin came up with the disclosure at a press briefing at his office at 12pm on Tuesday.
Shamsuddin said police arrested Maskawat Hasan Sakib alias Abdullah, a member of the banned Islamist militant outfit Jama'atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), from Gaibandha on Sunday night.
On Monday, police produced Abdullah before a court where he made confessional statement admitting his direct involvement in the killing of Prof Karim.
Acting on Abdullah’s information, police conducted a drive in Rajshahi city and arrested three other JMB men in connection with the incident on Monday night, Shamsuddin added.
However, the law enforcers did not disclose their names for the sake of investigation.
He said police also seized a motorcycle and recovered a machete and a knife from the house of the arrestees. Abdullah, however, claimed they had used another machete in killing the RU professor.
Shamsuddin said the four killers took part in the killing mission of Rezaul Karim directly when three hacked the professor to death and another assailant was waiting in a motorcycle.
Prof Rezaul Karim, 58, of RU’s English department, was killed in the city's Shalbagan area while he was waiting for a university bus on April 23.