- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
N’ganj teacher assaulters to face action after probe: Nahid
Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid on Wednesday said stern action will be taken against those involved in assaulting a primary school teacher in Narayanganj once the probe report is available.
The minister came up with the remark while talking to reporters at the secretariat in the morning.
Replying to a query, Nahid said two probe bodies, formed to investigate the sensitive issue, have been working to find out the people involved in humiliating the teacher.
Voicing his utter shock at the incident, Nahid said the incident left a black stain on the country’s people.
On May 13, local people beat Shyamal Kanti Bhakta, headmaster of Piyar Sattar Latif High School in Bandar upazila of Narayanganj district, for allegedly hurting religious sentiments.
At one stage, local MP AKM Selim Osman forced him to do sit-ups holding his ears.
The incident went viral on the social media triggering huge criticisms across the country.