- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
RU teacher receives death threat
Prof Muhammad Hasan Imam of Rajshahi University (RU) received a death threat on Thursday through a letter from an unknown sender.
Prof Imam, who teaches in the Sociology Department of the university, told reporters, “I found an envelope left hanging from the handle of the door of my room at Momtazuddin Arts building around 10am. There was no name and address of the sender.”
The letter said, “Prepare yourself for seeing your sliced body, rather than the segments of the Liberation War.” Notably, Prof Imam in 2005 made a compilation of articles published in weekly Bichitra. The title of the book was ‘Muktijuddher Khandachitra’ (Segments of the Liberation War)
Contacted, Officer-in-Charge of Motihar Police Station Ashok Chouhan Jago said the teacher lodged a general diary with the police station seeking security of his life.
On May 9, Mahbub Alam Pradip, an assistant professor at the RU Public Administration Department, received a death threat over mobile phone.
It followed the April 23 killing of Professor Rezaul Karim as he waited to take the bus to the university one morning – the fourth such killing of an RU teacher in the last 12 years.