- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
RU teacher receives death threat
Prof Muhammad Hasan Imam of Rajshahi University (RU) received a death threat on Thursday through a letter from an unknown sender.
Prof Imam, who teaches in the Sociology Department of the university, told reporters, “I found an envelope left hanging from the handle of the door of my room at Momtazuddin Arts building around 10am. There was no name and address of the sender.”
The letter said, “Prepare yourself for seeing your sliced body, rather than the segments of the Liberation War.” Notably, Prof Imam in 2005 made a compilation of articles published in weekly Bichitra. The title of the book was ‘Muktijuddher Khandachitra’ (Segments of the Liberation War)
Contacted, Officer-in-Charge of Motihar Police Station Ashok Chouhan Jago said the teacher lodged a general diary with the police station seeking security of his life.
On May 9, Mahbub Alam Pradip, an assistant professor at the RU Public Administration Department, received a death threat over mobile phone.
It followed the April 23 killing of Professor Rezaul Karim as he waited to take the bus to the university one morning – the fourth such killing of an RU teacher in the last 12 years.