- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Safe Motherhood Day Saturday
The Safe Motherhood Day will be observed in the country on Saturday with an aim to cut down mother and child mortality rate.
The theme of this year’s day is: ‘Standard service to all new mothers is our pledge’.
Different organisatons have chalked out elaborate programmes to mark the day.
Meanwhile, President Abdul Hamid and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have issued separate messages on the occasion.
In his message, the President hoped that Bangladesh will be able to attain the Sustainable Development Goal on reducing mother and child mortality rate with the concerted and meaningful efforts at all levels.
The Prime Minister, in her message, also expressed the hope that Bangladesh will be able to achieve the MDG target on the mother and child mortality much before the deadline with the united efforts of government-non-government and development partners.