- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Students protest schoolgirl violation in Khagrachhari
Students of different schools staged demonstrations blocking various roads in Panchhari upazila on Sunday protesting the violation of a schoolgirl.
Witnesses said nearly 800 students of Panchhari Bazar High School formed a human chain in the morning demanding exemplary punishment of the culprit who violated the Class-VI girl of the school.
Besides, students of different schools formed human chains and blocked several roads in the upazila by placing logs.
The road communications of Panchhari with other parts of the district were disrupted due to the blockade.
Later, the traffic retuned to normalcy in the afternoon after the demonstrationists withdrew the blockade.
An unknown youth violated the Marma girl at Jouthokhamar village in Panchhari upazila on Friday morning when the girl along with her younger sister went to a bamboo cluster in the village to collect bamboo saplings.
Later, the victim’s father filed a case against an unknown man with Panchhari Police Station.
Meanwhile, a team of Matiranga Police Station arrested a youth, Ibrahim Khalil alias Iqbal, son of Abdul Khaleque of Domdom area of Panchhari upazila, from Battali area of Matiranga upazila around 1:15pm on Sunday in connection with the incident.