- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
HC wants reports in detail over teacher humiliation
The High Court on Sunday ordered the authorities concerned to submit probe reports in detail by June 8 in connection with the humiliation of Narayanganj high school headmaster Shyamal Kanti Bhakta for his alleged offensive comments about religion.
An HC bench comprising Justice Moyeenul Islam Chowdhury and Justice Iqbal Kabir passed the order after Deputy Attorney General Motahar Hossain Saju placed four reports before it in the morning.
The court also fixed June 9 for the next hearing.
The Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education (DSHE), the deputy commissioner and police super of Narayanganj, and the officer-in-charge of Bandar Police Station submitted the four reports to the court through the Attorney General’s office.
The court said necessary action will be taken if the detailed reports are not place properly.
Earlier on May 18, the High Court wanted to know why legal measures should not be taken against Salim Osman, MP, and others who publicly humiliated the schoolteacher.
A same HC bench issued the suo moto rule.
On May 13, locals beat Shyamal Kanti Bhakta, headmaster of Piyar Sattar Latif High School in Bandar area of Narayanganj for allegedly hurting the religious sentiment.
At one stage, local MP AKM Salim Osman forced him to sit up and down holding his ears.
Later on May 17, the school authorities suspended him on counts of charges.