- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
President urges peacekeepers to keep up the good work
President Abdul Hamid on Sunday urged Bangladeshi peacekeepers to maintain professionalism, honesty, devotion and sincerity in UN peacekeeping activities across the world.
"You (peacekeepers) will establish Bangladesh as a peaceful country and will uphold the flag of Bangladesh in the world arena. We expect that you will work as goodwill ambassadors of Bangladesh and will brighten the image of the country through your activities," he said.
Abdul Hamid was speaking at a function marking International Day of Peacekeepers 2016 at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) in the city.
He observed that the effective participation in UN mission has strengthened the position of Bangladesh for establishing world peace and playing an important role to develop mutual diplomatic relations with different countries in the world.
"Bangladesh has become a respected country in the world arena through the proud participation of Bangladesh in important international forum, including United Nations Peacekeeping activities," he added.
Observing that at present the UN is giving special importance to women’s representation, Abdul Hamid underscored the need for taking steps to increase the representation of Bangladeshi women peacekeepers in leadership positions at UN Headquarters.
The president handed over awards to family members of six deceased Bangladeshi peacekeepers and thirty injured peacekeepers.
State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam, UN Resident Coordinator Robert D Watkins, and Chief of Army Staff General Abu Belal Muhammad Shafiul Huq also addressed the occasion.