- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
President urges peacekeepers to keep up the good work
President Abdul Hamid on Sunday urged Bangladeshi peacekeepers to maintain professionalism, honesty, devotion and sincerity in UN peacekeeping activities across the world.
"You (peacekeepers) will establish Bangladesh as a peaceful country and will uphold the flag of Bangladesh in the world arena. We expect that you will work as goodwill ambassadors of Bangladesh and will brighten the image of the country through your activities," he said.
Abdul Hamid was speaking at a function marking International Day of Peacekeepers 2016 at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) in the city.
He observed that the effective participation in UN mission has strengthened the position of Bangladesh for establishing world peace and playing an important role to develop mutual diplomatic relations with different countries in the world.
"Bangladesh has become a respected country in the world arena through the proud participation of Bangladesh in important international forum, including United Nations Peacekeeping activities," he added.
Observing that at present the UN is giving special importance to women’s representation, Abdul Hamid underscored the need for taking steps to increase the representation of Bangladeshi women peacekeepers in leadership positions at UN Headquarters.
The president handed over awards to family members of six deceased Bangladeshi peacekeepers and thirty injured peacekeepers.
State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam, UN Resident Coordinator Robert D Watkins, and Chief of Army Staff General Abu Belal Muhammad Shafiul Huq also addressed the occasion.