- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
- BD needs assistance from IFC in bigger way: Muhith
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant: Bangladesh, Russia ink protocol to amend partnership deal
- Ecnec clears Tk 3,825.34 crore project to procure 1.5 lakh EVMs
- PM seeks India’s continued support for Bangladesh’s development
- Bangladeshi scientist leads discovery of novel quantum state of matter
- Rohingya influx puts biodiversity at risk in Cox’s Bazar: UN report
- Myanmar military brutality against Rohingya 'hard to fathom': UN investigator
- Shakib not returning home, wife responds to rumours
‘MP’s assault’ on election official halts Banshkhali UP polls
The Election Commission on Wednesday postponed polls to 14 Union Parishads of Banshkhali under Chittagong district after a local Awami League MP allegedly assaulted an election officer.
Besides, the Commission has decided to file a case against Mustafizur Rahman Chowdhury, MP, on charge of assaulting upazila election officer Zahid Hossian.
The 14 UPs were scheduled to go to polls on Saturday in the sixth phase election to the lowest tier of local body.
"Elections to all UPs under Banshkhali upazila have been postponed following the assault on the election officer. The Commission has also decided to lodge a case against the local MP under the existing laws," said an official of the EC Secretariat.
Mustafizur Rahman, MP from Chittagong-16 constituency, and his aides allegedly attacked Zahid at the UNO office on Wednesday over the appointment of presiding officer and polling officers for the election.
Chittagong Regional Election Officer M Abdul Baten said Mustafizur Rahman beat the upazila election officer after he refused to appoint the MP’s followers as presiding officer and polling officers.
The injured election officer was first taken to a private clinic from where he was shifted to Chittagong Medical College Hospital, he said.
Although repeated attempts, Mustafizur Rahman could not be contacted for his version over the incident.