- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Suspended RCC mayor Bulbul released on bail
Suspended Rajshahi City Corporation (RCC) Mayor Mosaddek Hossain Bulbul was finally released from jail on bail on Wednesday.
Bulbul walked out of Rajshahi Central Jail around 4:30pm, said Senior Jail Super Shafiqul Islam Khan.
His lawyer Raisul Islam said Bulbul obtained bail in two violence cases from the High Court on May 24, clearing the way for his release.
He said though the HC bail order reached the Rajshahi Central Jail two days later, the authorities did not release him saying they got a letter from the Attorney General’s office that an appeal was made against Bulbul’s bail order.
As the court order went in favour of Bubul during the hearing toady, he was released from the central jail, Raisul added.
Earlier on March 13, a Rajshahi court sent the suspended RCC mayor to jail in connection with several cases filed against him.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Mizanur Rahman passed the order when Bulbul surrendered before the court and sought bail in nine cases filed against him on criminal charges.
On March 7, the CMM court issued a warrant for the arrest of Bulbul in a case filed over obstructing police from discharging their duties
On May 7 last year, the government suspended BNP-supported Mayor Mosaddek Hossain Bulbul as he was charged with criminal offences.