- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
- BD needs assistance from IFC in bigger way: Muhith
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant: Bangladesh, Russia ink protocol to amend partnership deal
- Ecnec clears Tk 3,825.34 crore project to procure 1.5 lakh EVMs
- PM seeks India’s continued support for Bangladesh’s development
- Bangladeshi scientist leads discovery of novel quantum state of matter
- Rohingya influx puts biodiversity at risk in Cox’s Bazar: UN report
- Myanmar military brutality against Rohingya 'hard to fathom': UN investigator
- Shakib not returning home, wife responds to rumours
Suspended RCC mayor Bulbul released on bail
Suspended Rajshahi City Corporation (RCC) Mayor Mosaddek Hossain Bulbul was finally released from jail on bail on Wednesday.
Bulbul walked out of Rajshahi Central Jail around 4:30pm, said Senior Jail Super Shafiqul Islam Khan.
His lawyer Raisul Islam said Bulbul obtained bail in two violence cases from the High Court on May 24, clearing the way for his release.
He said though the HC bail order reached the Rajshahi Central Jail two days later, the authorities did not release him saying they got a letter from the Attorney General’s office that an appeal was made against Bulbul’s bail order.
As the court order went in favour of Bubul during the hearing toady, he was released from the central jail, Raisul added.
Earlier on March 13, a Rajshahi court sent the suspended RCC mayor to jail in connection with several cases filed against him.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Mizanur Rahman passed the order when Bulbul surrendered before the court and sought bail in nine cases filed against him on criminal charges.
On March 7, the CMM court issued a warrant for the arrest of Bulbul in a case filed over obstructing police from discharging their duties
On May 7 last year, the government suspended BNP-supported Mayor Mosaddek Hossain Bulbul as he was charged with criminal offences.