- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Cabinet clears proposed budget
The Cabinet in its special meeting on Thursday approved the proposed budget for the fiscal year 2016-17.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina presided over the meeting held at the cabinet room of Parliament Bhaban.
Finance Minister AMA Muhith and other cabinet ministers, state ministers concerned attended the meeting.
Sources close to the meeting said the Prime Minister stressed effective implementation of the new budget to improve the socioeconomic status of people.
She thanked all concerned, particularly the Finance Minister, for his hard work in preparing the budget.