- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
- BD needs assistance from IFC in bigger way: Muhith
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant: Bangladesh, Russia ink protocol to amend partnership deal
- Ecnec clears Tk 3,825.34 crore project to procure 1.5 lakh EVMs
- PM seeks India’s continued support for Bangladesh’s development
- Bangladeshi scientist leads discovery of novel quantum state of matter
- Rohingya influx puts biodiversity at risk in Cox’s Bazar: UN report
- Myanmar military brutality against Rohingya 'hard to fathom': UN investigator
- Shakib not returning home, wife responds to rumours
BNP ready to join polls anytime under neutral govt: Fakhrul
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Friday said their party is ready to join the national election at any time if it is held under a non-party administration.
“A party like BNP doesn’t need any special preparations for polls. It’s organisationally always ready for an election, but it has to be held under a neutral administration,” he said.
The BNP leader came up with the remarks while talking to reporters after a meeting of the party’s newly made executive committee leaders at its Nayapaltan central office. This was the first meeting of the party’s new joint secretaries general, organising secretaries and assistant organising secretaries.
The party has so far announced the names of 42 leaders of its executive committee since its national council was held on March 19 this year.
At the meeting, Fakhrul said they discussed the country’s latest political situation and organisational issues of the party. “We also discussed how to strengthen our organisational activities to make our ongoing movement for restoration of democracy a success.”
Accusing the government of creating an autocratic atmosphere in the country by demolishing all the basic structures of democracy, the BNP leader said there is no alternative to holding a meaningful, inclusive and credible election under a non-party government to get rid of it.