- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
AFC Cup: Bangladesh concede 5-0 defeat to Tajikistan
Bangladesh conceded a humiliating 5-0 defeat to Tajikistan in their away play-off match of the AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers (Stage-1) at the Republican Central Stadium in the Tajik capital Dushanbe on Thursday.
Jahongir Ergashev scored in the 19th minute by a low angular shot from penalty area, 1-0.
Jahongir again fired the net in the 30th minute to double the margin by a volley utilising a low cross pass of Umedzhon Sharipov, 2-0.
Parvizdzhon Umarboev struck the third goal in the 33rd minute by a powerful right footer shot from the middle of the box, 3-0.
Davrondzhon Ergashevn sent the ball into the goal of Bangladesh in the 49th minute, 4-0.
Umedzhon Sharipov scored the 5th by a header in the 71st minute, 5-0.
Earlier, Bangladesh conceded another humiliating 5-0 defeat against Tajikistan also in away match in the preliminary rounds of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup finals in Dushanbe, but managed a face-saving 1-1 draw against them in Dhaka.
Bangladesh will play Tajikistan on their home match at Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka on June 7.
In a post-match press conference on Thursday, Bangladesh team head coach Lodewijk de Kruijf said, “The result is very much disappointing. I could live with 2-0 or 3-1. We want to get back on June 7 for the respect of the nation.”
“I can come with all kinds of excuses. If the players were professionals, they would do what they were supposed or instructed to do,” de Kruijf added.
“We were not up to date to handle an opponent like Tajikistan. Tajikistan played in a high tempo position, played what we used to play in Holland and I think what they did was fantastic and an example for Bangladesh,” the coach remarked.