- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Ctg Cricket: Brothers Union beat Rising Star by 98 runs
A brilliant century by Saifuzzaman enabled Brothers Union Club to earn a comfortable 98-run victory over Rising Star Club in the CJKS-Ispahani Premier Division Cricket League at Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium here on Saturday.
Despite the day’s victory, Brothers Union Club finished league runners–up in head to head counting as they lost the league match to Abahani Limited. Abahani Ltd clinched the league title securing same points by virtue of victory against Brothers Union.
Brothers Union batted first after winning the toss and piled up huge 289 runs for 7 in stipulated 50 overs with Saifuzzaman contributing an unconquered 118 runs off 119 balls, featuring 12 fours and four sixes.
Besides, Zakir Ali scored 82-ball 52 runs with four fours and a six while Nayeem Hasan made 52-ball 55 runs including eight fours and a six, were the main contributors for Brothers Union.
Brabo Barua grabbed three wickets for 29 runs and Monirul Haque took two for 36 runs.
In reply, Rising Star Club were all out for 191 runs in 47 overs with Sanaullah Sunny making 58 and Shawon Mitra 36 runs.
Nayeem Hasan picked up three wickets for 37 runs while Nafees Iqbal, Rezaul Karim and ASM Nakib took two wickets each conceding 4, 24 and 31 runs respectively.