- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
‘No SIM registration in name of BNP chairperson’: Tarana Halim
State minister for Posts and Telecommunication Tarana Halim said on Sunday that they will send a letter to the Finance Ministry for correction of supplementary duty on SIM-card-related services proposed in the FY 2016-17 budget.
“Earlier we requested the Finance Minister not to increase supplementary duty as it will be a deterrent for the industry,” said the minister to reporters at the ministry.
Finance Minister Finance Minister AMA Muhith suggested an increase of supplementary duty from the present 3 percent to 5 percent.
The state minister also revealed that 11.21 crore mobile phone users re-registered their SIMs and RIUMs by May 31 and 38.30 lakh users from June 1 to June 4.
She also expressed her disappointment as there was no SIM registration in the name of BNP Chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia.
The information about the SIMs registered, including how many were registered in one name, will be disclosed at the beginning of July, she added.
“Our next plan on a priority basis is to implement Mobile Number Portability (MNP) while our other plans are to improve mobile network system across the country, improve network of Teletalk and postal department of Bangladesh,” added Tarana.