- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
- BD needs assistance from IFC in bigger way: Muhith
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant: Bangladesh, Russia ink protocol to amend partnership deal
- Ecnec clears Tk 3,825.34 crore project to procure 1.5 lakh EVMs
- PM seeks India’s continued support for Bangladesh’s development
- Bangladeshi scientist leads discovery of novel quantum state of matter
- Rohingya influx puts biodiversity at risk in Cox’s Bazar: UN report
- Myanmar military brutality against Rohingya 'hard to fathom': UN investigator
- Shakib not returning home, wife responds to rumours
‘No SIM registration in name of BNP chairperson’: Tarana Halim
State minister for Posts and Telecommunication Tarana Halim said on Sunday that they will send a letter to the Finance Ministry for correction of supplementary duty on SIM-card-related services proposed in the FY 2016-17 budget.
“Earlier we requested the Finance Minister not to increase supplementary duty as it will be a deterrent for the industry,” said the minister to reporters at the ministry.
Finance Minister Finance Minister AMA Muhith suggested an increase of supplementary duty from the present 3 percent to 5 percent.
The state minister also revealed that 11.21 crore mobile phone users re-registered their SIMs and RIUMs by May 31 and 38.30 lakh users from June 1 to June 4.
She also expressed her disappointment as there was no SIM registration in the name of BNP Chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia.
The information about the SIMs registered, including how many were registered in one name, will be disclosed at the beginning of July, she added.
“Our next plan on a priority basis is to implement Mobile Number Portability (MNP) while our other plans are to improve mobile network system across the country, improve network of Teletalk and postal department of Bangladesh,” added Tarana.