- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Tajikistan Football Team in capital
Tajikistan National Football Team arrived in the capital on Sunday to play their away play-off match of the AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers (Stage-1) against hosts Bangladesh on Tuesday at the Bangabandhu National Stadium here.
After reaching Dhaka, touring Tajikistan team also made their practices at BUET ground in the city Sunday afternoon
Bangladesh National Football team, which suffered a humiliating 0-5 goals defeat against Tajikistan in their away play-off match of the AFC Asian Cup Qualifiers in the Tajik capital Dushanbe Thursday night, also returned home on Saturday night.
With this frustrating defeat, the chance of Bangladesh to qualify from stage-1 was almost shattered as they have a tough task of beating Tajikistan by a bigger margin in Tuesday’s match.
The winners of the two-leg play-off matches between Tajikistan and Bangladesh will advance to the group stages of the qualifying competition while the losing team will have another chance to qualify through further two-leg basis play-off matches against Bhutan on September 6 and October 11 respectively.
Earlier in the FIFA World Cup qualifiers in Dushanbe, Bangladesh also conceded another 0-5 goals defeat against Tajikistan in their away match, but managed a face-saving 1-1 draw in their home match against Tajikistan in Dhaka.