- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
Start Ramadan with healthy Sehri
The Muslim community around the country is looking forward to a 15 hours long fast in Bangladesh this year as they gear up to observe the holy month of Ramadan.
In today’s busy and hectic life, fasting alone can be taxing; we have the additional wrath of summer to deal with. Staying fit and healthy during Ramadan can be very easy. All we need is to prepare and plan ahead.
The biggest mistake we can make during this month is not eating well during Sehri. Sehri is the most important meal of the day because it keeps you going till Iftar. To survive the long working day and the exhausting heat, Sehri must contain the necessary nutrients.
If you have to eat a full meal at Sehri then make it balanced with the right choices. Here are a few suggestions.
• Eggs are a great source of protein and they are low in calorie too. Egg is the most versatile food. Apart from the basic fried, boiled or poached eggs, filling mains can be made out of eggs too. A Mexican omlette with onion, tomato, corn, etc is not only quick and easy, the chili and cilantro makes it very appealing for our Bengali palate. Scrambled eggs with spinach are also a good choice. For something spicier try Middle-Eastern Shakshuka. With eggs, your options are endless.
• Another source of lean protein is chicken or fish. Spices will make thirsty throughout the day and not a good idea for the starving stomach. So if you like fish or chicken curries then opt for a mild one with sparse oil and spices. Go for grilled or baked alternatives if you can.
• Serve your protein with a helping of complex carbs. Try to eat brown rice or ruti made from brown flour. Oatmeal is one of the best things to eat for Sehri. The fibers will keep you full. The complex carbs will supply the fuel to run till Iftar.
• Add some nuts to your oatmeal. Nuts are the best source for healthy fats and help you stay full. Dates are not good for breaking your fats only. Add a few to your Sehri and you will have an extra boost of energy.
• You can also drink a smoothie with your Sehri for some extra energy and nutrients.
• Hydration is the most important thing for your health. This cannot be emphasized enough. Do not skimp on water during Sehri.
Stay healthy and have a blessed Ramadan.