- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Start Ramadan with healthy Sehri
The Muslim community around the country is looking forward to a 15 hours long fast in Bangladesh this year as they gear up to observe the holy month of Ramadan.
In today’s busy and hectic life, fasting alone can be taxing; we have the additional wrath of summer to deal with. Staying fit and healthy during Ramadan can be very easy. All we need is to prepare and plan ahead.
The biggest mistake we can make during this month is not eating well during Sehri. Sehri is the most important meal of the day because it keeps you going till Iftar. To survive the long working day and the exhausting heat, Sehri must contain the necessary nutrients.
If you have to eat a full meal at Sehri then make it balanced with the right choices. Here are a few suggestions.
• Eggs are a great source of protein and they are low in calorie too. Egg is the most versatile food. Apart from the basic fried, boiled or poached eggs, filling mains can be made out of eggs too. A Mexican omlette with onion, tomato, corn, etc is not only quick and easy, the chili and cilantro makes it very appealing for our Bengali palate. Scrambled eggs with spinach are also a good choice. For something spicier try Middle-Eastern Shakshuka. With eggs, your options are endless.
• Another source of lean protein is chicken or fish. Spices will make thirsty throughout the day and not a good idea for the starving stomach. So if you like fish or chicken curries then opt for a mild one with sparse oil and spices. Go for grilled or baked alternatives if you can.
• Serve your protein with a helping of complex carbs. Try to eat brown rice or ruti made from brown flour. Oatmeal is one of the best things to eat for Sehri. The fibers will keep you full. The complex carbs will supply the fuel to run till Iftar.
• Add some nuts to your oatmeal. Nuts are the best source for healthy fats and help you stay full. Dates are not good for breaking your fats only. Add a few to your Sehri and you will have an extra boost of energy.
• You can also drink a smoothie with your Sehri for some extra energy and nutrients.
• Hydration is the most important thing for your health. This cannot be emphasized enough. Do not skimp on water during Sehri.
Stay healthy and have a blessed Ramadan.