- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
- BD needs assistance from IFC in bigger way: Muhith
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant: Bangladesh, Russia ink protocol to amend partnership deal
- Ecnec clears Tk 3,825.34 crore project to procure 1.5 lakh EVMs
- PM seeks India’s continued support for Bangladesh’s development
- Bangladeshi scientist leads discovery of novel quantum state of matter
- Rohingya influx puts biodiversity at risk in Cox’s Bazar: UN report
- Myanmar military brutality against Rohingya 'hard to fathom': UN investigator
- Shakib not returning home, wife responds to rumours
Egypt's population grows by 1 million in 6 months
Egypt's statistics authority says the population has grown by 1 million over the last six months, reaching 91 million.
The statement issued by authorities on Sunday warned that the runaway population growth is the main obstacle to improving the standard of living. More than a quarter of the population lives in poverty, according to the 2013 census.
Egypt's fertility rate declined throughout the 1980s and 1990s as the government promoted family planning initiatives, but began rising again after 2007, according to World Bank statistics.
The Arab world's most populous country has been struggling to revive its economy after the years of unrest that followed the 2011 uprising.