- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
US, UK for joint efforts to fight against extremism
Expressing shock at the murders of Mahmuda Aktar and Sunil Gomez, the United States and the United Kingdom on Monday laid emphasis on confronting violent extremism together.
US Ambassador Marcia Bernicat expressed condolence over the murders of Mahmuda Aktar and Sunil Gomez and called for confronting violent extremism together.
“I join Bangladeshis in mourning the brutal killings of two more citizens yesterday - a mother and a grocer - who are the latest victims of violent extremism," she said.
In a statement, the US envoy said the violent extremism is a global threat that countries must confront together. "Our prayers are with their families," Bernicat said.
Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Hugo Swire also expressed deep shock at the murders.
“I’m deeply saddened to learn of more brutal murders in Bangladesh. We stand with Bangladesh in the global fight against extremism,” he tweeted on Monday.