- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
2 killed in Habiganj post-UP polls violence
Two people including a nonagenarian woman were killed in a spate of post-polls violence in Khorki village in Jagodishpur union parishad (UP) of Madhabpur upazila on Saturday.
The deceased were identified as Mirash Bibi, 90, and Faruk Mia, 32, of the village.
Police and locals said a clash took place between the supporters of winning member candidate Monayem Kha and defeated candidate Abdul Hye of ward no. 3 of the union on Friday.
Faruk Mia, a supporter of Monayem Kha, received serious injuries in that clash and he succumbed to his injuries at Habiganj Sadar Hospital on Saturday afternoon.
As the news of Faruk’s death spread around his village, supporters of Monayem Kha allegedly attacked the house of Abdul Hye and vandalized the house and the valuables.
As nonagenarian Mirash Bibi, sister of Abdul Hye, tried to resist the attackers, she received stab wounds and died on the spot.
On information, police recovered the bodies of the two deceased person and sent those to Sadar Hospital for autopsy.