- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
2 killed in Habiganj post-UP polls violence
Two people including a nonagenarian woman were killed in a spate of post-polls violence in Khorki village in Jagodishpur union parishad (UP) of Madhabpur upazila on Saturday.
The deceased were identified as Mirash Bibi, 90, and Faruk Mia, 32, of the village.
Police and locals said a clash took place between the supporters of winning member candidate Monayem Kha and defeated candidate Abdul Hye of ward no. 3 of the union on Friday.
Faruk Mia, a supporter of Monayem Kha, received serious injuries in that clash and he succumbed to his injuries at Habiganj Sadar Hospital on Saturday afternoon.
As the news of Faruk’s death spread around his village, supporters of Monayem Kha allegedly attacked the house of Abdul Hye and vandalized the house and the valuables.
As nonagenarian Mirash Bibi, sister of Abdul Hye, tried to resist the attackers, she received stab wounds and died on the spot.
On information, police recovered the bodies of the two deceased person and sent those to Sadar Hospital for autopsy.