- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
2 killed in Habiganj post-UP polls violence
Two people including a nonagenarian woman were killed in a spate of post-polls violence in Khorki village in Jagodishpur union parishad (UP) of Madhabpur upazila on Saturday.
The deceased were identified as Mirash Bibi, 90, and Faruk Mia, 32, of the village.
Police and locals said a clash took place between the supporters of winning member candidate Monayem Kha and defeated candidate Abdul Hye of ward no. 3 of the union on Friday.
Faruk Mia, a supporter of Monayem Kha, received serious injuries in that clash and he succumbed to his injuries at Habiganj Sadar Hospital on Saturday afternoon.
As the news of Faruk’s death spread around his village, supporters of Monayem Kha allegedly attacked the house of Abdul Hye and vandalized the house and the valuables.
As nonagenarian Mirash Bibi, sister of Abdul Hye, tried to resist the attackers, she received stab wounds and died on the spot.
On information, police recovered the bodies of the two deceased person and sent those to Sadar Hospital for autopsy.