- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
BAIRA goes to polls on July 14 under govt supervision
The election to the Bangladesh Association of International Recruiting Agencies (BAIRA) for 2016-2018 tenure will be held on July 14 under the supervision of government-appointed administrator to ensure transparency.
Director, Trade Organization, under the Ministry of Commerce, has been directed to assume the office of the administrator for holding the election, outgoing BAIRA president Mohammed Abul Basher told UNB on Sunday.
The administrator, however, will not perform any executive function of the affairs of BAIRA other than formal election matter, he said.
The tenure of the BAIRA executive committee expired in May but its election could not be held for various reasons, including complaint of delisting 158 members from the voter list. Later, the matter went to the court.
A court order in this regard said the parties have agreed that the election be held on or before July 14 under the supervision of Director, Trade Organization and in no case the election shall be shifted beyond July 14.