- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Poland beats Northern Ireland 1-0 for its first Euros win
A goal by Arkadiusz Milik was enough for Poland to break down a determined Northern Ireland and hand his team a 1-0 victory on Sunday at the European Championship.
Poland's win in the Group C match was its first ever at a European Championship following two disappointing displays in the last two tournaments, including in 2012 when as co-host it came bottom of its group.
Poland dominated large passages of the match but it was only in the 51st minute that Milik fired his team ahead from the edge of the penalty area following a neat square ball from Jakub Blaszczykowski. Milik's strike went through the legs of Northern Ireland defender Craig Cathcart and beyond the reach of goalkeeper Michael McGovern.
Poland had numerous chances to take the lead before Milik's goal. Milik himself had missed the target with two efforts in the first 10 minutes and struck the side netting with a rising shot from a good position in the 31st.
Nineteen-year-old winger Bartosz Kapustka could have also scored for Poland in the first half, while Jakub Blaszczykowski dragged a low shot narrowly wide in the second before Milik's goal.
Sevilla midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, who had recovered from a knee injury, had a chance to double the lead in the 88th when his fierce shot from distance flashed just wide of the post.
A wayward overhead kick from Kyle Lafferty in the 76th was the closest Northern Ireland, making its first appearance at the European Championship, came to equalizing. Defeat ended the team's 12-game unbeaten run.