- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Poland beats Northern Ireland 1-0 for its first Euros win
A goal by Arkadiusz Milik was enough for Poland to break down a determined Northern Ireland and hand his team a 1-0 victory on Sunday at the European Championship.
Poland's win in the Group C match was its first ever at a European Championship following two disappointing displays in the last two tournaments, including in 2012 when as co-host it came bottom of its group.
Poland dominated large passages of the match but it was only in the 51st minute that Milik fired his team ahead from the edge of the penalty area following a neat square ball from Jakub Blaszczykowski. Milik's strike went through the legs of Northern Ireland defender Craig Cathcart and beyond the reach of goalkeeper Michael McGovern.
Poland had numerous chances to take the lead before Milik's goal. Milik himself had missed the target with two efforts in the first 10 minutes and struck the side netting with a rising shot from a good position in the 31st.
Nineteen-year-old winger Bartosz Kapustka could have also scored for Poland in the first half, while Jakub Blaszczykowski dragged a low shot narrowly wide in the second before Milik's goal.
Sevilla midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, who had recovered from a knee injury, had a chance to double the lead in the 88th when his fierce shot from distance flashed just wide of the post.
A wayward overhead kick from Kyle Lafferty in the 76th was the closest Northern Ireland, making its first appearance at the European Championship, came to equalizing. Defeat ended the team's 12-game unbeaten run.