- BD needs assistance from IFC in bigger way: Muhith
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant: Bangladesh, Russia ink protocol to amend partnership deal
- Ecnec clears Tk 3,825.34 crore project to procure 1.5 lakh EVMs
- PM seeks India’s continued support for Bangladesh’s development
- Bangladeshi scientist leads discovery of novel quantum state of matter
- Rohingya influx puts biodiversity at risk in Cox’s Bazar: UN report
- Myanmar military brutality against Rohingya 'hard to fathom': UN investigator
- Shakib not returning home, wife responds to rumours
- 7, including Bangladeshi, die of suspected alcohol poisoning
- BNP leader Sohel held
3 killed following attack near Paris, child rescued
A senior French police officer and his partner were killed in a nighttime attack by a knife-wielding man in a distant suburb of Paris, officials said late Monday. The attacker was also killed, while a young boy was rescued from the scene.
The police commander was stabbed to death outside his home in Magnanville, about 35 miles (55 kilometers) west of Paris, the interior minister's spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told reporters outside the scene. The attacker then retreated indoors before elite police commandos stormed the residence. The woman and the attacker were found dead; a little boy was found unharmed.
"The toll is a heavy one," Brandet told reporters, his voice shaking with emotion. "This commander, this police officer was killed by the individual ... (and) we discovered the body of a woman. The assailant, the criminal was killed. Thankfully, a little boy was saved. He was in the house. He's safe and sound. He was saved by police officers."
The identity and the motive of the assailant were not immediately clear. France, like other countries in Europe, has seen a wave of jihadist violence — often stabbings — aimed at police officers or soldiers.
France's Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said in a statement that the man was a police commander and that his wife also worked for the Interior Ministry. Cazeneuve's statement said that an investigation was under way.