- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Shibir leader remanded over Pabna ashram attendant killing
A court here on Tuesday placed a local Islami Chhatra Shibir leader, arrested for his suspected link to the killing of Hindu ashram attendant Nityaranjan Pandey, on a five-day remand over the murder.
Judicial Magistrate Nazimuddaula put Ariful Islam, 23, Literature and Cultural Affairs secretary of district unit Shibir and son of Abdus Sattar of Charghoshpur village in Sadar upazila, on the remand after police produced him before the court seeking a 10-day remand.
A police team arrested Ariful from Bajitpur village of Sadar upazila on Saturday night.
Earlier, police arrested another suspect, Hashem, on Monday in this connection. Hashem was also put on a five-day remand on the day.
Nityaranjan Pandey, 62, an attendant of Sree Sree Thakur Anukulchandra Ashram (asylum), was hacked to death by unidentified miscreants at Hemayetpur of Sadar upazila early Friday.
A case was filed in this connection.