- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Shibir leader remanded over Pabna ashram attendant killing
A court here on Tuesday placed a local Islami Chhatra Shibir leader, arrested for his suspected link to the killing of Hindu ashram attendant Nityaranjan Pandey, on a five-day remand over the murder.
Judicial Magistrate Nazimuddaula put Ariful Islam, 23, Literature and Cultural Affairs secretary of district unit Shibir and son of Abdus Sattar of Charghoshpur village in Sadar upazila, on the remand after police produced him before the court seeking a 10-day remand.
A police team arrested Ariful from Bajitpur village of Sadar upazila on Saturday night.
Earlier, police arrested another suspect, Hashem, on Monday in this connection. Hashem was also put on a five-day remand on the day.
Nityaranjan Pandey, 62, an attendant of Sree Sree Thakur Anukulchandra Ashram (asylum), was hacked to death by unidentified miscreants at Hemayetpur of Sadar upazila early Friday.
A case was filed in this connection.