- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Wife sues Khaleda’s press secretary
A case was filed against BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia’a press secretary Maruf Kamal Khan Sohel on Monday night on charge of torturing his wife.
Sohel’s wife Tania Khan filed the case with Mohammadpur Police Station under sections 323/235/202 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.
In her first information report (FIR), Tania Khan alleged that her husband has long been maintaining ‘illicit’ affairs with some other women, said sub-inspector Tareque Zaman, also investigation officer of the case.
Whenever she protested his unethical deed, he used to torture her, Zaman said, quoting the FIR.
Tania said she and Sohel locked in an altercation on Monday evening over the issue. At one stage, Sohel physically tortured her and hit her in the head with an iron rod, leaving her seriously injured.
Hearing her screams, neighbours and caretaker of their house rescued her and took her to Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital.
She went to the police station after receiving the treatment and filed the case.