- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
MNP comes closer with auction set for Sep 21
The auction to appoint an operator for the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) facility will be held on September 21, according to Shahjahan Mahmood, chairman of Bangladesh Telecommunication and Regulatory Commission (BTRC).
The telco regulator's chairman announced the date at a press briefing at his office on Tuesday.
"The MNP service is being launched for enhancing the subscribers' experience and we hope it will start this year after the bidding once the license is awarded," Mahmood said.
If any operator fails to provide desired service to a subscriber, they can easily change operators without undergoing a change to their phone number, he added.
The mobile phone operators will cut Tk 30 as service charge for MNP, as approved by the Finance Ministry earlier.
At present, MNP services are available in some 72 countries, and if any subscriber wants to change his/her mobile operator after enjoying MNP service then he/she will have to wait for 90 days, Mahmood further informed.
The BTRC chairman said the authorities concerned will file an application for bidding on June 16, followed by a pre-bid meeting that will be held in the month of July. The bid earnest money will be collected in August.
The selected MNP operator will get license for 15 years and they have to share their revenue with the government at 5.5 percent from the second year of the licence. The license will be up for renewal after five years.