- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
- BD needs assistance from IFC in bigger way: Muhith
- Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant: Bangladesh, Russia ink protocol to amend partnership deal
- Ecnec clears Tk 3,825.34 crore project to procure 1.5 lakh EVMs
- PM seeks India’s continued support for Bangladesh’s development
- Bangladeshi scientist leads discovery of novel quantum state of matter
- Rohingya influx puts biodiversity at risk in Cox’s Bazar: UN report
- Myanmar military brutality against Rohingya 'hard to fathom': UN investigator
- Shakib not returning home, wife responds to rumours
MNP comes closer with auction set for Sep 21
The auction to appoint an operator for the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) facility will be held on September 21, according to Shahjahan Mahmood, chairman of Bangladesh Telecommunication and Regulatory Commission (BTRC).
The telco regulator's chairman announced the date at a press briefing at his office on Tuesday.
"The MNP service is being launched for enhancing the subscribers' experience and we hope it will start this year after the bidding once the license is awarded," Mahmood said.
If any operator fails to provide desired service to a subscriber, they can easily change operators without undergoing a change to their phone number, he added.
The mobile phone operators will cut Tk 30 as service charge for MNP, as approved by the Finance Ministry earlier.
At present, MNP services are available in some 72 countries, and if any subscriber wants to change his/her mobile operator after enjoying MNP service then he/she will have to wait for 90 days, Mahmood further informed.
The BTRC chairman said the authorities concerned will file an application for bidding on June 16, followed by a pre-bid meeting that will be held in the month of July. The bid earnest money will be collected in August.
The selected MNP operator will get license for 15 years and they have to share their revenue with the government at 5.5 percent from the second year of the licence. The license will be up for renewal after five years.