- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
4 killed in road accidents in Lalmonirhat, Khulna
Four people were killed and at least 14 others injured in two separate road accidents in Lalmonirhat and Khulna districts on Tuesday.
In Lalmonirhat, two people were killed in a head-on collision between two trucks at Barakhata in Hatibandha upazila in the noon.
The deceased were identified as Pradip, 32, son of Khitish Chandra and Shandwip Mitra, 44, son of Joy Chand, residents of Nabinagar village in Hatibandha upazila.
Officer-in-charge of Hatibandha Police Station Abdul Matin said the accident took place when the two goods-laden trucks collided head-on in front of the Barakhata level crossing, leaving Pradip and Shandwip dead on the spot and five others injured.
In Khulna, two employees of a pharmaceutical company were killed and nine people injured as a microbus skidded off and rammed into a roadside house at Kanchanpur Porabari on Khulna-Satkhira highway in Dumuria upazila in the morning.
The deceased were identified as Shimul Hossain, 32, and Sabuj Ahmed, 30, employees of Health Care Pharmaceutical.
Sub-inspector of Chuknagar Highway Police Station Shakur Ahmed said a group of employees of Health Care Pharmaceutical was going to Satkhira riding on a microbus.
When the bus reached Kanchanpur Porabari, the vehicle rammed into a roadside house as the drive lost his control over the steering around 10am, leaving Shimul and Sabuj dead on the spot and nine people including the residents of the house injured.
The bodies were sent to Khulna Medical College Hospital for autopsy, the SI added.