- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
4 killed in road accidents in Lalmonirhat, Khulna
Four people were killed and at least 14 others injured in two separate road accidents in Lalmonirhat and Khulna districts on Tuesday.
In Lalmonirhat, two people were killed in a head-on collision between two trucks at Barakhata in Hatibandha upazila in the noon.
The deceased were identified as Pradip, 32, son of Khitish Chandra and Shandwip Mitra, 44, son of Joy Chand, residents of Nabinagar village in Hatibandha upazila.
Officer-in-charge of Hatibandha Police Station Abdul Matin said the accident took place when the two goods-laden trucks collided head-on in front of the Barakhata level crossing, leaving Pradip and Shandwip dead on the spot and five others injured.
In Khulna, two employees of a pharmaceutical company were killed and nine people injured as a microbus skidded off and rammed into a roadside house at Kanchanpur Porabari on Khulna-Satkhira highway in Dumuria upazila in the morning.
The deceased were identified as Shimul Hossain, 32, and Sabuj Ahmed, 30, employees of Health Care Pharmaceutical.
Sub-inspector of Chuknagar Highway Police Station Shakur Ahmed said a group of employees of Health Care Pharmaceutical was going to Satkhira riding on a microbus.
When the bus reached Kanchanpur Porabari, the vehicle rammed into a roadside house as the drive lost his control over the steering around 10am, leaving Shimul and Sabuj dead on the spot and nine people including the residents of the house injured.
The bodies were sent to Khulna Medical College Hospital for autopsy, the SI added.