- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Ahsanullah Master killing: HC verdict on appeals Wednesday
The High Court will deliver its verdict on Wednesday on appeals against the lower court judgment in the Awami League leader Ahsanullah Master killing case.
An HC bench of Justice Obaidul Hassan and Justice Krishna Debnath fixed the date on June 8 on completion of hearing on the appeals and death reference.
Criminals shot Ahsanullah Master, a former MP, to death at a rally at MA Mazid Miah High School ground at Tongi of Gazipur on May 7, 2004.
Victim’s brother Matiur Rahman filed a case with Tongi Police Station against 17 people the following day.
A Speedy Trial Tribunal on April 16, 2005 sentenced 22 people, including BNP leader Nurul Islam Sarkar, to death and six others to life imprisonment in the murder case.
Of them, 17 are currently behind the bars while two others have already died and the rest nine are on the run.
The convicts later appealed with the High Court against the sentences. The case documents were also sent to the HC as death reference for its approval.
The hearing on the appeals and death reference began on January 21 this year.