- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
UP chairman bullet-injured by miscreants in Bagerhat
Local Awami League leader and Chingrikhali union parishad (UP) chairman Talukdar Ali Akkas reportedly sustained bullet injuries as a group of miscreants beat and fired gunshot at him in front of the union land office in Morelganj upazila on Tuesday.
In a separate incident, Chingrikhali union unit BNP leader Altaf Sardar was stabbed by one of his relatives at Uttar Chingrikhali village on Tuesday morning.
Witnesses said a group of miscreants indiscriminately beat Talukdar Akkas Ali, 52, chairman of the UP and general secretary of Morelganj upazila unit Awami League, in front of the land office, which is located within 200 yards of the victim’s residence, on Tuesday morning.
At one stage, they fired gunshots at the victim’s leg and fled the scene. Critically injured, Akkas Ali was admitted to Khulna Medical College Hospital.
Upazila unit Awami League president Advocate Amirul Alam Milon said factional clash of the local Awami League might be the reason behind the attack.
Meanwhile, local BNP leader Altaf Sardar, 55, was reportedly stabbed by his relative Arif Sardar in front of Chingrikhali Secondary School over a trifling matter, alleged the victim’s younger brother Akkas Sardar.
Officer-in-charge of Morelganj Police Station Md Rashedul Alam said UP chairman Akkas Ali was attacked by miscreants over previous enmity.
However, no incident of firing took place during the attack, he added.
Regarding the attack on BNP leader Altaf Sardar, the OC said the incident took place as a sequel to a family dispute between the victim and his nephews.