- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Man to die for killing uncle in Pirojpur
A court here on Wednesday convicted a man and sentenced him to death for killing his maternal uncle in 2013.
The convict, Nibas Chandra Shil,30, son of late Sukhranjon Shil of Sadar upazila, was also fined Tk20,000.
According to the prosecution, Nibas hacked his uncle Hemlal Chandra Shil, a resident of Solshoto village in Najirpur upazila, over a land-related dispute on September 9, 2013, leaving him injured.
Hemlal was rushed to Najirpur Upazila Health Complex where doctors declared him dead.
Shyamol Kumar Shil, son of the deceased, filed a murder case against Nibas with Najirpur Police Station.
Abdul Gaffar Molla, sub-inspector of the police station, submitted a charge-sheet against Nibas on November 30, 2013.
After examining the records and witnesses, District and Sessions Judge Golam Kibria handed down the verdict.