- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Man to die for killing uncle in Pirojpur
A court here on Wednesday convicted a man and sentenced him to death for killing his maternal uncle in 2013.
The convict, Nibas Chandra Shil,30, son of late Sukhranjon Shil of Sadar upazila, was also fined Tk20,000.
According to the prosecution, Nibas hacked his uncle Hemlal Chandra Shil, a resident of Solshoto village in Najirpur upazila, over a land-related dispute on September 9, 2013, leaving him injured.
Hemlal was rushed to Najirpur Upazila Health Complex where doctors declared him dead.
Shyamol Kumar Shil, son of the deceased, filed a murder case against Nibas with Najirpur Police Station.
Abdul Gaffar Molla, sub-inspector of the police station, submitted a charge-sheet against Nibas on November 30, 2013.
After examining the records and witnesses, District and Sessions Judge Golam Kibria handed down the verdict.