- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
AL picks Areng, Nazim to contest Mymensingh-1 & 3 by polls
Awami League Parliamentary Board (ALPB) has unanimously nominated Jewel Areng as the party candidate for the upcoming by polls to Mymensingh-1 (Haluaghat-Dhobaura) and Nazim Uddin Ahmed for Mymensingh-3 (Gouripur) seats.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the ALPB held at the Prime Minister's official residence Ganobhaban with AL chief and ALPB chairman Sheikh Hasina in the chair on Thursday.
ALPB members attended the meeting.
By-elections to Mymensingh-1 and 2 constituencies that fell vacant following the death of two Awami League MPs will be held on July 18 next.
According to the schedule, the deadline for the submission of nomination paper is June 20, while the date for scrutiny is June 22 and the last date for the withdrawal of candidature is June 29.
The Mymensingh-1 seat fell vacant on May 11 last with the death of state minister for social welfare Promode Mankin, while the Mymensingh-3 on May 2 last with death of former state minister for health and family welfare Mujibur Rahman Fakir.
As per the Constitution, the EC has a legal obligation to arrange the by-polls to any the parliamentary constituency within 90 days after it falls vacant.