- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
AL picks Areng, Nazim to contest Mymensingh-1 & 3 by polls
Awami League Parliamentary Board (ALPB) has unanimously nominated Jewel Areng as the party candidate for the upcoming by polls to Mymensingh-1 (Haluaghat-Dhobaura) and Nazim Uddin Ahmed for Mymensingh-3 (Gouripur) seats.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the ALPB held at the Prime Minister's official residence Ganobhaban with AL chief and ALPB chairman Sheikh Hasina in the chair on Thursday.
ALPB members attended the meeting.
By-elections to Mymensingh-1 and 2 constituencies that fell vacant following the death of two Awami League MPs will be held on July 18 next.
According to the schedule, the deadline for the submission of nomination paper is June 20, while the date for scrutiny is June 22 and the last date for the withdrawal of candidature is June 29.
The Mymensingh-1 seat fell vacant on May 11 last with the death of state minister for social welfare Promode Mankin, while the Mymensingh-3 on May 2 last with death of former state minister for health and family welfare Mujibur Rahman Fakir.
As per the Constitution, the EC has a legal obligation to arrange the by-polls to any the parliamentary constituency within 90 days after it falls vacant.