- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Premier Cricket: Rupganj take solo lead beating Victoria
An all-round performance by Indian Pawan Negi enabled Legends of Rupganj to take the solo lead in the Walton Dhaka Premier Division Cricket dethroning Victoria SC from the top spot beating them by two wickets in their 2nd super league match at Khan Saheb Osman Ali Stadium in Fatullah on Wednesday.
With the day’s well-merited win, Legends of Rupganj have secured 18 points from 13 encounters to dominate the league table while Victoria Sporting Club went down to the 2nd slot with 17 points from 13 matches following the shocking defeat.
Sent in to bat first, Victoria SC scored a moderate total of 258 runs for all in stipulated 50 overs with top order national batsman Mominul Haque contributing 72-ball 82 runs featuring eight hits to the fence and two sixes.
Al Amin made 68-ball 63 runs with two fours and two sixes while Fazle Mahmud scored 76-ball 40 runs, including one four and a six, Sri Lankan Chaturanga De Silva hit 13-ball 18 runs with two boundaries while wicket keeper Dhiman Ghosh made 12-ball 13 runs with two fours.
Taijul Islam picked up three wickets for 47 runs while Abu Haider Rony and Pawan Negi took two wickets each conceding 32 and 54 runs respectively.
Chasing a target of 259 runs, Legends of Rupganj, riding on a century by Pawan Negi, scored 264 runs for 8 in 48.5 overs to seal an important victory in the super league.
When the Legends of Rupganj were struggling at 83 for 6 in 22.5 overs, Pawan Negi guided the team towards victory contributing 148 runs in the 7th wicket stand pairing with number eight Mosharraf Hossain.
Pawan Negi, the 23-year-old left handed batsman from Delhi, who earlier grabbed two wickets, quick-fired an unconquered 124 runs off just 89 balls featuring 13 fours and four sixes and was adjudged man of the match while Mosharraf Hossain scored 62-ball 41 runs with four fours.
Besides, national opener Soumya Sarker (28), opener Mohammad Mithun (17) and lower order Alauddin Babu (12) were the other notable contributors for Legends of Rupganj.
Sri Lankan Chaturanga De Silva bowled devastatingly to claim five wickets for 46 runs in 5.5 overs spell but failed to avoid defeat due hurricane batting by Pawan Negi.