- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Fed-Cup: Russel reach quarterfinals as group champion
Sheikh Russel Krira Chakra reached quarterfinals as Group-B champion after a 3-0 victory over Muktijoddha Sangshad Krira Chakra in the 12-team Federation Cup foot ball tournament at Bangabandhu National Stadium on Wednesday.
With the day’s result, Russel collected four points from two matches while group runners-up Muktijoddha bagged three points also from two matches to reach into the quarterfinals.
Russel took the lead in the 29th minute of the match with Cameroonian forward Jean J Ikanga tapping the ball into the net from the middle of the box off a neat cross of midfielder Monaem Khan Raju, 1-0.
Shahedul Alam Shahed doubled the margin by a powerful right footer shot from 30 yards in the 32nd minute, 2-0.
Forward Paul Emile extended the lead in the 44th minute by a powerful shot from the top of box off a back pass of Jean J Ikanga, 3-0.