- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Fed-Cup: Russel reach quarterfinals as group champion
Sheikh Russel Krira Chakra reached quarterfinals as Group-B champion after a 3-0 victory over Muktijoddha Sangshad Krira Chakra in the 12-team Federation Cup foot ball tournament at Bangabandhu National Stadium on Wednesday.
With the day’s result, Russel collected four points from two matches while group runners-up Muktijoddha bagged three points also from two matches to reach into the quarterfinals.
Russel took the lead in the 29th minute of the match with Cameroonian forward Jean J Ikanga tapping the ball into the net from the middle of the box off a neat cross of midfielder Monaem Khan Raju, 1-0.
Shahedul Alam Shahed doubled the margin by a powerful right footer shot from 30 yards in the 32nd minute, 2-0.
Forward Paul Emile extended the lead in the 44th minute by a powerful shot from the top of box off a back pass of Jean J Ikanga, 3-0.