- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
Over 3 lakh posts vacant in public service: Minister
Public Administration Minister Syed Ashraful Islam on Thursday told Parliament that some 3.28 lakh posts are now vacant in the public service.
According to the latest data collected in December 2015, the number of officials and employees in the ministries and other government agencies is 13.82 lakh, he said.
The minister came with the statistics replying to a tabled starred question from ruling Awami League MP Nurunnabi Chowdhury (Bhola-3).
A total of 13,82,393 officials and employees --- 3,78,354 women and 10,04,039 men-- are in the public service under all ministries, divisions and other government agencies, Ashraful Islam said.
"Now the number of vacant posts is 3,28,311," he said.