- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
- PM Sheikh Hasina donates Tk 50 lakh for Prof MahbubÕs treatment
JS passes Sparrso Amendment Bill
Parliament on Thursday passed the Sparrso Amendment Bill 2016 aiming to reconstitute its board through increasing the number of members.
Law Minister Anisul Huq, who is also in-charge of the Defense Ministry in Parliament, moved the bill titled 'Bangladesh Space Research and Remote Sensing Organisation (Amendment) Bill, 2016', which was passed by voice vote.
As per the bill, the board of the organisation will be formed with a full-time chairman and four full-time members instead of the existing three members.
Two members of the board will have to be appointed from chief scientific officers working in the organisation on the basis of seniority and competence.
On April 26, 2016, the bill was placed in Parliament and sent to the respective Parliamentary Standing Committee for further scrutiny.