- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
College student shot dead in Noakhali
A college student was shot to death and three other people were injured in an attack by miscreants at Amishapara Botgram village in Sonaimuri upazila early Friday.
Quoting family members, police said two alleged criminals-- Fayek and Shaon-- riding a motorcycle came to Amishapara village and tried to snatch away mobile phones from two young men while they were sitting near their houses around 10pm.
As the young men raised screams, locals rushed in, managed to catch the snatchers and gave them a good beating.
As a sequel to it, around 12pm, Fayek and Shaon along with their other associates swooped on the house of one of the two young men and opened fire to the house inmates, leaving four people, including Asif Uddin Shanto, 22, injured.
The injured were rushed to Noakhali General Hospital where doctors declared Shanto dead.
Shanto came home to celebrate Eid with his family from the district town after appearing honours final examinations, said a relative of the victim.
Nazrul Islam, sub-inspector of Sonaimuri Police Station, said police conducted a drive to arrest the culprits.