- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
College student shot dead in Noakhali
A college student was shot to death and three other people were injured in an attack by miscreants at Amishapara Botgram village in Sonaimuri upazila early Friday.
Quoting family members, police said two alleged criminals-- Fayek and Shaon-- riding a motorcycle came to Amishapara village and tried to snatch away mobile phones from two young men while they were sitting near their houses around 10pm.
As the young men raised screams, locals rushed in, managed to catch the snatchers and gave them a good beating.
As a sequel to it, around 12pm, Fayek and Shaon along with their other associates swooped on the house of one of the two young men and opened fire to the house inmates, leaving four people, including Asif Uddin Shanto, 22, injured.
The injured were rushed to Noakhali General Hospital where doctors declared Shanto dead.
Shanto came home to celebrate Eid with his family from the district town after appearing honours final examinations, said a relative of the victim.
Nazrul Islam, sub-inspector of Sonaimuri Police Station, said police conducted a drive to arrest the culprits.