- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
College student shot dead in Noakhali
A college student was shot to death and three other people were injured in an attack by miscreants at Amishapara Botgram village in Sonaimuri upazila early Friday.
Quoting family members, police said two alleged criminals-- Fayek and Shaon-- riding a motorcycle came to Amishapara village and tried to snatch away mobile phones from two young men while they were sitting near their houses around 10pm.
As the young men raised screams, locals rushed in, managed to catch the snatchers and gave them a good beating.
As a sequel to it, around 12pm, Fayek and Shaon along with their other associates swooped on the house of one of the two young men and opened fire to the house inmates, leaving four people, including Asif Uddin Shanto, 22, injured.
The injured were rushed to Noakhali General Hospital where doctors declared Shanto dead.
Shanto came home to celebrate Eid with his family from the district town after appearing honours final examinations, said a relative of the victim.
Nazrul Islam, sub-inspector of Sonaimuri Police Station, said police conducted a drive to arrest the culprits.