- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
RMG workers want wages, Eid bonus by 20th Ramadan
Ready-made garment (RMG) workers on Friday demanded that their wages, arrears and Eid bonus be paid by the 20th of Ramadan.
The demand was raised from a rally held in front of the Jatiya Press Club organised by Bangladesh Garments Sramik Odhikar Andolon, a platform of 12 workers’ unions in the RMG sector, according to a press release.
Addressing the rally, the union leaders noted that many of the RMG factory owners have been trying to evade paying even the wages of June, let alone the arrears and the Eid bonus.
Workers of those factories are concerned over getting their dues ahead of Eid and the owners must ensure the payment by the 20th of Ramadan at any cost, they said.
If any unstable situation arises over the on-payment of the salaries, the owners will be held responsible for that, they added.
President of Bangladesh Garments-Textile Federation Advocate Mahbubur Rahman Ismail, president of Bangladesh Garments Sramik Sanghati Taslima Akter Lima, president of Samannita Garments Sramik Federation Rafiqul Islam Pothik, among others, spoke on the occasion.