- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
Madaripur college teacher murder attempt accused killed in ‘gunfight’
Golam Faizullah alias Fahim, who was on a 10-day remand in connection with the attempt on the life of college teacher Ripon Chakrawarty, was killed in a reported gunfight between his associates and police at Miarchar in Sadar upazila early Saturday.
Officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station Ziaul Morshed said a team of police along with Fahim launched a drive in the area to recover firearms in the dead of night.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, associates of Fahim opened fire at them, prompting the police personnel to retaliate that triggered a gunfight, leaving Fahim dead on the spot.
However, other associates of Fahim managed to flee the scene.
Later, police recovered the body and sent it to Madaripur Sadar Hospital morgue for an autopsy.
Earlier on Friday, a court placed Fahim, a suspected Islami Chhatra Shibir activist, on a 10-day remand in connection with the murder attempt on Ripon Chakrawarty.
Judicial Magistrate Saidur Rahman passed the order when sub-inspector of Sadar Police Station Abdul Barek, also the investigation officer of a case filed over the incident, produced Fahim before his court seeking a 15-day remand.
Ripon Chakrawarty, a mathematics lecturer of Madaripur Government Naziumuddin College, was chopped by some assailants at his residence in the district town on Wednesday afternoon.
A group of three miscreants knocked on the door of Ripon’s residence at College Road behind the college. As soon as the college teacher opened the door, the attackers started chopping him.
Locals caught Fahim while fleeing after the attack and handed him over to police.
Following the incident, SI Auyb Ali of Sadar Police Station filed a case accusing Golam Faizullah Fahim, Jahim, Mejbah, Raihan, Polash and Salim on Friday.