- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
Madaripur college teacher murder attempt accused killed in ‘gunfight’
Golam Faizullah alias Fahim, who was on a 10-day remand in connection with the attempt on the life of college teacher Ripon Chakrawarty, was killed in a reported gunfight between his associates and police at Miarchar in Sadar upazila early Saturday.
Officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station Ziaul Morshed said a team of police along with Fahim launched a drive in the area to recover firearms in the dead of night.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, associates of Fahim opened fire at them, prompting the police personnel to retaliate that triggered a gunfight, leaving Fahim dead on the spot.
However, other associates of Fahim managed to flee the scene.
Later, police recovered the body and sent it to Madaripur Sadar Hospital morgue for an autopsy.
Earlier on Friday, a court placed Fahim, a suspected Islami Chhatra Shibir activist, on a 10-day remand in connection with the murder attempt on Ripon Chakrawarty.
Judicial Magistrate Saidur Rahman passed the order when sub-inspector of Sadar Police Station Abdul Barek, also the investigation officer of a case filed over the incident, produced Fahim before his court seeking a 15-day remand.
Ripon Chakrawarty, a mathematics lecturer of Madaripur Government Naziumuddin College, was chopped by some assailants at his residence in the district town on Wednesday afternoon.
A group of three miscreants knocked on the door of Ripon’s residence at College Road behind the college. As soon as the college teacher opened the door, the attackers started chopping him.
Locals caught Fahim while fleeing after the attack and handed him over to police.
Following the incident, SI Auyb Ali of Sadar Police Station filed a case accusing Golam Faizullah Fahim, Jahim, Mejbah, Raihan, Polash and Salim on Friday.