- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
‘Robber’ killed in Magura ‘gunfight’ with cops
An alleged robber was killed in a ‘gunfight’ between his cohorts and police at Mogherdhal on the Magura-Jessore highway in Sadar upazila early Saturday.
The deceased was identified as Kamal Hossain,37, son of late Ashraf Fakir of Shyauladanga village of the upazila.
Officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station Ajmol Huda said on a tip-off that a gang of robbers were taking preparation to commit robbery on the highway, a team of police conducted a drive there at about 1:30 am.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, the gang members opened fire at them, prompting the police personnel to retaliate that triggered a gunfight, leaving Kamal dead on the spot.
However, other associates of Kamal managed to flee the scene.
Later, police recovered the body and sent it to Magura Sadar Hospital morgue for an autopsy.
Police also recovered a short gun, some sharp weapons and two rounds of bullet from the spot.
The arrestee was wanted in several cases for robbery, the OC added.