- DNCC Panel Mayor Osman Gani passes away
- Grenade found in Natore
- Man killed, 38 RMG workers hurt as bus overturns hitting bike
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave London for New York to join UNGA Sunday
- BNP joins rally of Dr Kamal-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya
- Death toll in Iran military parade attack rises to 24: IRNA
- Action against anarchy over grenade attack case verdict: Monirul
- CEC asks politicians not to make comment on EVMs
- HC hearing on Shahidul’s bail plea ‘Sunday’
- PM seeks India’s support for Bangladesh’s development
‘Robber’ killed in Magura ‘gunfight’ with cops
An alleged robber was killed in a ‘gunfight’ between his cohorts and police at Mogherdhal on the Magura-Jessore highway in Sadar upazila early Saturday.
The deceased was identified as Kamal Hossain,37, son of late Ashraf Fakir of Shyauladanga village of the upazila.
Officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station Ajmol Huda said on a tip-off that a gang of robbers were taking preparation to commit robbery on the highway, a team of police conducted a drive there at about 1:30 am.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, the gang members opened fire at them, prompting the police personnel to retaliate that triggered a gunfight, leaving Kamal dead on the spot.
However, other associates of Kamal managed to flee the scene.
Later, police recovered the body and sent it to Magura Sadar Hospital morgue for an autopsy.
Police also recovered a short gun, some sharp weapons and two rounds of bullet from the spot.
The arrestee was wanted in several cases for robbery, the OC added.