- Good men should not be quiet spectators
- We will continue to work with refugee-hosting countries to find solutions
- Voting underway for Gazipur City Corporation elections
- SC upholds Khaleda’s bail in Cumilla arson case
- Teesta inundates 10 Nilphamari villages
- AL confident of victory, fair balloting in Gazipur
- Nahid urges all to work for improving quality of education
- Looting going on in banking sector: Menon
- PM for BD-India sharing of expertise in coastal security
- Ronaldo misses penalty, Portugal draws 1-1 with Iran
‘Robber’ killed in Magura ‘gunfight’ with cops
An alleged robber was killed in a ‘gunfight’ between his cohorts and police at Mogherdhal on the Magura-Jessore highway in Sadar upazila early Saturday.
The deceased was identified as Kamal Hossain,37, son of late Ashraf Fakir of Shyauladanga village of the upazila.
Officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station Ajmol Huda said on a tip-off that a gang of robbers were taking preparation to commit robbery on the highway, a team of police conducted a drive there at about 1:30 am.
Sensing the presence of the law enforcers, the gang members opened fire at them, prompting the police personnel to retaliate that triggered a gunfight, leaving Kamal dead on the spot.
However, other associates of Kamal managed to flee the scene.
Later, police recovered the body and sent it to Magura Sadar Hospital morgue for an autopsy.
Police also recovered a short gun, some sharp weapons and two rounds of bullet from the spot.
The arrestee was wanted in several cases for robbery, the OC added.